Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Day 4




I was reading the "SPIDER" paper this morning, which introduced the application of autocorrelation. I got confused on an equation about the interference of two waves. I searched online and found the concept was related to the "Fourier Transform Spectral Interferometry(FTSI)", which I had never learned before. Then I went to the Optics Textbook and started reading a chapter about wave interference. After that, I realized that I didn't even know the relationship between irradiance and energy. So I began from basic and finally went through the interference of waves from same sources and interference of waves from different sources, which helped to explain the equation in the "SPIDER" paper.


Since Dr. Han today so I spent the majority of the time working with Dr. Han. Dr. Han presented her project to Zhila and me and explained our questions patiently. Then she taught us how to turn on the laser projector, how to set the proper intensity, and how to keep all the things safe. Then we began to adjust the position of the lens as well as the time delay line in order to determine the zero time delay line. Dr. Han measured the distances of Probe beam and pump beam to predict the position of the zero time delay line; Zhila was watching the green lights to see when the middle light appeared; I was operating the motor to adjust the delay line. After limiting the position into a certain range, we had to type single steps manually in order to get a most accurate data. Finally, we found the best zero time delay line at where the light was the brightest. It was a success :)


Here are several photos taken before and during the experiment:


The lab set up:














The moment when we found the middle green light:











No comments:

Post a Comment