Friday, July 7, 2017

First Day

Today was the first day of the internship. I was so excited and got up around 3 hours earlier than usual, even though I was still worrying about getting RIT on time at 8:45. After a brief overview to the internship, we headed up to the "Red Barn", where we had some pretty interesting and educational team building events. Through these team building events, we were able to know each other and learn how to collaborate better as well as how to view the challenges on different perspectives. 

After having a group lunch, Henry and I went to the AOFIM lab, where I believe I'll work for the next six weeks. Henry and I had actually met at the lab group meeting several days ago; we both like programming. After assigning me a computer, my graduate mentor Cayla assigned me a laser lab safety training along with a quiz. The safety training covered some basic knowledge about lasers, such as the types of lasers, the intensity of lasers, and the protections we need to wear. I enjoyed the process because I was learning the basic skills and knowledge necessary for a professional optics worker. As Henry suggested, I should probably paste the certificate here:



After finishing the safety training, I started learning Matlab grammar by reading a tutorial online (a website called "tutorialspoint"). I went over the basic grammars quickly -- from variables to loops, and finally to functions. Anyway, I enjoyed pushing myself to learn a new programming language in a short time period, and here's a fun image from Tutorialpoints:




I had heard that Matlab was extremely useful in math calculations and graph drawing, but I've never thought it could be this advanced. I could not imagine how many lines of C++ code were behind every simple Matlab function, and I appreciated the great convenience on graph making and math calculations Matlab brought to us. Here are some screenshots were taken during my learning process:

Plot two functions on one graph:



Subplot two graphs:




find the integral of a function:





Finally, my plan for later today: I will work on the papers Dr. Qiao sent me and read some Matlab functions. 




No comments:

Post a Comment